Installing the unit was a piece of cake. I did not check it for 36 hours but upon doing so, it was just where I left it, and rock solid. I used shorter screws to prevent the screws from having any chance of hitting the transom. I imagine your preference would have been that it was applied to a pretty unpainted hull but the reality is a lot of us have our hulls painted and there is no way around it. The great thing about the Stern Saver is that the starboard material holds screws much better than fiberglass. I will let you know next season how the starboard holds up to the barnacle test. Again, thanks very much. It was great to not have to drill holes in this 35 year old hull.
Hey, nice product concept and it looks like it works. I have not had time to read the entire thread but agree (if it works as reported) that your product has other uses (like mounting battery switch). Moreover, I’d take full advantage of the offer to put samples on a pull tester and continue more life testing especially if someone offers up help or an appropriate life test protocol.
These things would be great for mounting electronics inside the center console. I used a wood block and 5200 as a mount for my battery switch. Did the same with the battery charger and stereo amplifier. These would allow you to mount electronics wherever you want and look clean and professional. Shoot, add bilge pumps and fuel filters to the list too.
Just received the demo pack. Nice product. I will be pulling my boat soon for the season. I will use the Stern Saver to mount pump for a live well. I will be sure to document the procedure. I do have a piece of Starboard on my port stern used to mount a transducer. As Lizard mentioned, I fabricated the block to match the contour of the hull. With so mant hull designs it would be impossible to pre cut the material. Perhaps a larger version of the Stern save could be an option for boaters that want to trim the piece to match the hull.
Just got my Stern Saver – really neat little product – I will be pulling my transducer – filling the holes and mounting your product – I will be sure to share photos when I pull the boat to do it.
I wanted to thank you again for the Sternsaver Kit. I had a chance to install it this week. Please see the attached photo. I thought it was a very easy process and I’m happy with the final outcome. I used my bottom paint to try and level it off, but as you can see it needs to be redone pretty bad. I feel like the Sternsaver is attached to the boat with a very strong bond. I plan on upgrading to a Lowrance unit sometime in the future and I know I’ll be glad that I can use the same Sternsaver without drilling into the boat. I’m heading to St. George Island, FL on Sun. so Whaler will be getting a lot of use. I wish you the best of luck with your new product and Thanks Again!
I’d sure like to try out your product on my 1993 13′ Sport. I’ve been wanting to put my old Lowrance on this boat but didn’t want to drill any more holes. If you have any left, my information is below. Great idea, wish I had thought of it! – Thanks.
After looking at your idea/product.. I think it is a great solution/product. I will be installing it on my Montauk.